Nick Villalobos is the bassist for Simply Three, a classical crossover trio that has which has garnered millions of YouTube views and praise from publications like Rolling Stone, the Huffington Post, and RyanSeacrest.com.
Nick spends his time during with the group, recording new covers, and shooting videos, and the group is now branching into original compositions with their first all-originals album in the works.
We dig into all kinds of topics:
- how being direct with what you want can move your career forward
- what makes a good hook
- transitioning into original compositions
- how competition can be a good thing
It was great to chat with Nick, and I can’t wait to see how this exciting group’s career evolves!
Links to Check Out:
- Simply Three’s website
- Simply Three on YouTube
- Maverick (their first original song)
- Simply Three on Instagram
- Chained to the Rhythm (Katy Perry cover)
- the Huffington Post article featuring Simply Three (their first really big video hit)
- Demons by Imagine Dragons (another cover that hit it big through a posting in Vietnam)
Thanks to our sponsors!
This episode is brought to you by D’Addario Strings! Check out their Helicore strings, which are are designed, engineered, and crafted at the D’Addario string factory in New York and come in orchestral, hybrid, pizzicato, and solo string sets.
Enter our latest string giveaway for Helicore strings at contrabassconversations.com/strings!
This episode is also brought to you by Rosin Saver, a revolutionary storage device that keeps bass rosin feeling as fresh as the day it was made.
Rosin Saver is used by members of top orchestras including the New York Philharmonic, the MET orchestra, the Los Angles Philharmonic, the Cleveland Orchestra, the Seattle Symphony, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra among many others.
Use the promo code ‘HEATH’ at checkout for 10% off any and all orders from rosinsaver.com.