Today’s episode is a deep dive into the concept of abstract technique—what we work on each and every day on the instrument, both to stay in shape technically and keep moving forward in terms of skill.
- The Talent Code
- Max Dimoff’s technique exercises (scroll down to the ‘Technique’ section)
- Galamian Technique book with bowing and rhythmic variations that Max references
- Michael Klinghoffer’s Drive a Double Bass technique book
- Diana Gannett’s website (great technique resource)
- Jeff Bradetich technique videos
Past compilation episodes:
Past Guests Quoted:
- Cleveland Orchestra principal bassist Max Dimoff
- Houston Symphony principal bassist Robin Kesselman
- Indiana University bass professor Kurt Muroki
- Los Angeles Philharmonic bassist Jory Herman
- former Academy of St Martin in the Fields principal bassist Leon Bosch
- National Symphony bassist Ira Gold
- Lyric Opera of Chicago bassist Andrew Anderson
- University of Michigan professor emeritus Diana Gannett
- Chicago Symphony bassist Michael Hovnanian
- MET Orchestra percussionist Rob Knopper
- Butler University bass professor David Murray
- University of North Texas bass professor Jeff Bradetich
- Jerusalem Academy of Music faculty member Michael Klinghoffer
- New York Philharmonic bassist David Grossman
- Cincinnati Symphony principal bassist Owen Lee
- Berlin Philharmonic principal bassist Matthew McDonald
- University of Illinois professor Larry Gray
- Ithaca College bass professor Nicholas Walker
Thanks to our sponsors!
This episode is brought to you by D’Addario Strings! Check out their Kaplan strings, which have versatility and control throughout the dynamic spectrum, rich tonal color palette, superb bow response, and beautiful balance.
Enter our latest string giveaway for Kaplan strings at contrabassconversations.com/strings!
This episode is also brought to you by Rosin Saver, a revolutionary storage device that keeps bass rosin feeling as fresh as the day it was made.
Rosin Saver is used by members of the New York Philharmonic, the MET orchestra, the Los Angles Philharmonic, the Cleveland Orchestra, the Seattle Symphony, and many others.
Use the promo code ‘HEATH’ at checkout for 10% off any and all orders from rosinsaver.com.