Kieran Hanlon is Assistant Professor of String Bass and Jazz at The State University of New York at Fredonia. In addition to his teaching, Kieran is a first call performer in both the classical and jazz idioms, and enjoys a diverse performing career in both genres across Upstate New York and Pennsylvania.
We dig into all kinds of topics, including:
- what it was like starting college as a violin and jazz bass student
- Kieran’s varied career path
- going to Eastman for orchestral studies with James VanDemark
- studying wth Steve Molina and Colin Corner
- nuts & bolts teaching techniques for students in music education methods classes coming to the bass
Follow along with all ISB-related coverage at contrabassconversations.com/ISB.
Thanks to our sponsors!
This episode is brought to you by D’Addario Strings! Check out their Kaplan strings, which have versatility and control throughout the dynamic spectrum, rich tonal color palette, superb bow response, and beautiful balance.
Enter our latest string giveaway for Kaplan strings at contrabassconversations.com/strings!
Thank you also to the Bass Violin Shop, which offers the Southeast’s largest inventory of laminate, hybrid and carved double basses. Whether you are in search of the best entry-level laminate, or a fine pedigree instrument, there is always a unique selection ready for you to try. Trade-ins and consignments welcome!