Stuart Pearce is an engineer by trade.
Three years ago, he sent his youngest child off to college and did a “rest of life” evaluation.
What do things look like for the next 20-30 years?
Golf and finishing would be fun… but it didn’t have the appeal to Stuart.
Playing an instrument came to mind. Inspired by hearing Edgar Meyer, he decided to pick up the bass.
He’s three years in and is loving it!
Our story today in three parts:
- Part 1 – why the bass?
- the story of the aluminum bass
- being stewards of these instruments
- Part 2 – the challenges
- what it’s like learning the bass as an adult
- what has been surprisingly difficult
- Part 3 – advice for those thinking about picking up an instrument
Reach out to Stuart by emailing him.
Links from Stuart:
- Stuart playing bass
- South Carolina Bass Musicians Association
- The Late Starters Orchestra (a book Stuart has found encouraging)
- Learn more about aluminum double basses
Contrabass Conversations is sponsored by:
The Upton Bass String Instrument Company. Upton’s Karr Model Upton Double Bass represents an evolution of our popular first Karr model, refined and enhanced with further input from Gary Karr. Since its introduction, the Karr Model with its combination of comfort and tone has gained a loyal following with jazz and roots players. The slim, long “Karr neck” has even become a favorite of crossover electric players.
The Bass Violin Shop, which offers the Southeast’s largest inventory of laminate, hybrid and carved double basses. Whether you are in search of the best entry-level laminate, or a fine pedigree instrument, there is always a unique selection ready for you to try. Trade-ins and consignments welcome!