I’ve followed along with the incredible career of Jonathan Glawe for many years.
Jonathan has established himself as one of the rising stars in the music education world. He is the current Director of Orchestras for Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and he is in demand across the country as a clinician.
Glawe has played an important role in the their return to the GRAMMY Signature School list, in which the Pioneer Music Department was honored as one of the top 3 music programs in the nation in 2010 and 2015, and earned the honor of being the National GRAMMY Signature School in 2011.
Glawe was recognized as MSBOA District 12 Orchestra Director of the Year in 2011, 2013 and 2015. He was a finalist for the Michigan Orchestra Director of the Year in 2012.
Jonathan also attended and represented the US in a symposium of Music Education in Stockholm, Sweden with a quartet from the Pioneer ensemble.
We dig into this and much more:
Part 1 – Finding your place in the music education world
- transitioning to a new director in an established program
- spending time each day practicing violin, viola, and cello to hone chops
- the importance those early teachers – the beginning string teachers are the giants whose shoulders we stand on
- Jonathan’s journey
- Strategies for landing a job
Part 2 – Managing your time
- putting in the long hours required (70-80 hour weeks)
- strategies for managing your time
- getting parents and students involved in a helpful fashion
Part 3 – The State of Music Education
- the Midwest Clinic Journey
- the global state of music education
Links to check out:
- Pioneer Orchestra website
- Road to The Midwest Clinic– A Blog From The Podium
- ASTA Michigan – Jonathan runs the blog for MASTA
Contrabass Conversations is sponsored by:
The Upton Bass String Instrument Company. Upton’s Brescian model is a custom 3/4 double bass handmade in their Mystic, Connecticut workshop. It is a modern instrument with roots in the 16th century inspired by our favorite historic double basses. While Upton Bass has referenced these classic instruments before, the Brescian directly mirrors those archetypal double basses in its design — large shoulders, violin corners, deep ribs, dramatic top arching and pronounced canted backs. These qualities combine to create a larger air mass with great resonance and rich harmonics, packaged with the the ergonomics, geometry and accessibility that modern players expect from Upton Bass.
Bass Violin Shop – Offers the Southeast’s largest inventory of laminate, hybrid and carved double basses. Whether you are in search of the best entry-level laminate, or a fine pedigree instrument, there is always a unique selection ready for you to try. Trade-ins and consignments welcome!
Subscribe to the podcast to get these interviews delivered to you automatically!