This episode takes a look at the benefits and drawbacks to seated and standing approaches to playing the double bass.
- Part 1 – sitting
- Part 2 – standing
- Part 3 – transitioning from sitting to standing
We feature highlights from past podcast guests:
- Dr. Randy Kertz – specialist in musician’s health
- Max Dimoff – Cleveland Orchestra principal bass and University of Michigan faculty
- Alex Hanna – Chicago Symphony principal bass and DePaul University faculty
- Bruce Bransby – Indiana University faculty
- Greg Sarchet – Lyric Opera of Chicago and Northeastern Illinois faculty
- Michael Hovnanian – Chicago Symphony
- David Grossman – New York Philharmonic and Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra
- Paul Ellison – Rice University faculty
- Ju-Fang Liu – Indianapolis Symphony and Butler University faculty
- Dennis Whittaker – Houston Grand Opera and University of Houston faculty
- Szymon Marciniak – soloist and chamber musician
- David Allen Moore – Los Angeles Philharmonic and University of Southern California faculty
- Ira Gold – National Symphony and Peabody Conservatory faculty
Resources to check out:
Check out more “best-of” episodes at contrabassconversations.com/highlights.
Contrabass Conversations is sponsored by:
The Upton Bass String Instrument Company. Upton’s Bohemian model is not about excess. With its simple lines, Gamba-style cornered and deep booming tone, its form is defined by purpose without ornament. Hand-built, with the same ergonomics and playability found in all of our models, the Bohemian double bass is being offered in four levels of build styles and price points, each carefully designed to meet unique requirements of its owner.
Bass Violin Shop – Offers the Southeast’s largest inventory of laminate, hybrid and carved double basses. Whether you are in search of the best entry-level laminate, or a fine pedigree instrument, there is always a unique selection ready for you to try. Trade-ins and consignments welcome! Check out what people are saying about the Bass Violin Shop on Facebook.
Subscribe to the podcast to get these interviews delivered to you automatically!