Earlier this summer, I read an article from Matthew Waters that caught my attention. Titled The Orchestral Dream is Dead, it outlined Matt’s experiences going through school at UCLA and trying to develop a career in Los Angeles.
I posted this article on Facebook, and it got a lot of thoughtful comments from orchestral musicians, students, and others. I thought that it would be great to chat with Matt for the podcast and dig into these topics.
Must-read posts from Matt:
Additional resources on this topic:
- Matt’s “Off the Podium” podcast appearance
- David Cutler – The Savvy Musician
- Making an Impact (Jason’s course on career-building)
- The State of the Orchestra with John Grillo
- Road Warrior Without an Expense Account
- The Entrepreneurial Musician with Andrew Hitz
- Crushing Classical with Tracy Friedlander
- Make it by Emilio Guarino
- Break Into the Scene by Seth Hanes
Contrabass Conversations is sponsored by:
The Upton Bass String Instrument Company. Upton’s Karr Model Upton Double Bass represents an evolution of our popular first Karr model, refined and enhanced with further input from Gary Karr. Since its introduction, the Karr Model with its combination of comfort and tone has gained a loyal following with jazz and roots players. The slim, long “Karr neck” has even become a favorite of crossover electric players.
Bass Violin Shop – Offers the Southeast’s largest inventory of laminate, hybrid and carved double basses. Whether you are in search of the best entry-level laminate, or a fine pedigree instrument, there is always a unique selection ready for you to try. Trade-ins and consignments welcome! Check out what people are saying about the Bass Violin Shop on Facebook.
Subscribe to the podcast to get these interviews delivered to you automatically!