Dennis Tobenski is a composer of acoustic new music whose work has been described by Anthony Tommasini of The New York Times as “distinctive and engaging”. He is also a vocalist and a strong advocate for new music and for the interests of living composers.
Dennis also hosts two music business-centered podcasts aimed at helping composers and performers to learn more about the practical aspects of their careers: the Music Publishing Podcast, a weekly, hour-long conversation with other professionals in the field of concert music, and The Composer’s Guide to Doing Business, where he answers questions and discusses current issues the new music community.
Links to check out:
- Music Publishing Podcast
- Dennis’ website
- The Freelancer’s Survival Guide (book recommendation from Dennis)
- Jason’s appearance on MPP
- episodes of MPP to check out:
- episode 1 – Alex Shapiro – thinking of your carer as a business
- episode 7 – Dale Trumbore – taking a methodical approach to your career, being strategic in your career
- episode 12 – Thomas Deneuville – social networking, email marketing – the why and the how
- episode 35 – Scott Tegge – diversified income streams
Contrabass Conversations is sponsored by:
The Upton Bass String Instrument Company. Upton’s Karr Model Upton Double Bass represents an evolution of our popular first Karr model, refined and enhanced with further input from Gary Karr. Since its introduction, the Karr Model with its combination of comfort and tone has gained a loyal following with jazz and roots players. The slim, long “Karr neck” has even become a favorite of crossover electric players.
Bass Violin Shop – Offers the Southeast’s largest inventory of laminate, hybrid and carved double basses. Whether you are in search of the best entry-level laminate, or a fine pedigree instrument, there is always a unique selection ready for you to try. Trade-ins and consignments welcome! Check out what people are saying about the Bass Violin Shop on Facebook.
Subscribe to the podcast to get these interviews delivered to you automatically!