CBC 100: Origins • 11.01.08
We’ve finally reached 100 episodes of Contrabass Conversations! In this special episode, we hear how many of our guests from our first two years of podcasting began playing the bass.
Today, you’ll be hearing excerpts from the following guests. Complete episodes featuring all of these guests (and many more!) can be found at the Contrabass Conversations website, along with complete biographies and links to guest websites:
1. Andy Anderson – Lyric Opera of Chicago
2. Phillip Serna – teacher and early music specialist
3. John Grillo – former New World Symphony, co-host of CBC
4. Bjorn Berkhout – composer
5. Kate Nettleman – principal bass of Hong Kong Philharmonic, newest member of Minnesota Orchestra
6. Weldon Anderson – freelance bassist and composer
7. Ira Gold – National Symphony
8. Francois Rabbath – soloist
9. Greg Sarchet – Lyric Opera of Chicago
10. Lawrence Hurst – Indiana University bass professor
11. Eric Hochberg – jazz bassist
12. Michael Hovnanian – Chicago Symphony
13. Rob Kassinger – Chicago Symphony
14. Jeff Turner – Pittsburgh Symphony
15. Ranaan Meyer – Time for Three
16. Guy Tuneh – soloist and chamber musician
17. Peter Tambroni – teacher and author
18. Colin Corner – former member Minnesota Orchestra
19. Brad Opland – Chicago Symphony
20. Scott Rosenthal – Theater/Broadway musician
21. Donovan Stokes – soloist and professor
22. Virginia Dixon – Suzuki bass
23. Peter Seymour – Project bassist, former New World Symphony and Cleveland Orchestra
24. Steve Reinfranck – luthier and teacher
25. Owen Lee – Cincinnati Symphony
26. Steve Rodby – Pat Metheney bassist
27. Lynn Seaton – jazz bassist, UNT jazz bass professor
28. Anthony Stoops – soloist and professor
29. Chris Threlkeld-Weigand – luthier
30. Barrie Kolstein – luthier
31. Dave Anderson – Louisiana Philharmonic, composer
32. Kristin Korb – jazz bassist and vocalist
33. Barry Lieberman – University of Washington, former L.A. Philharmonic
Jason chats about the state of affairs for Contrabass Conversations after one year of podcasting and offers goals for 2008 in this brief episode.
Courtney (our sometime guest host) and I will be in Hawaii getting married for the remainder of August. There will still be two more Contrabass Conversations episodes coming out this month, but you’ll have to be subscribed to the podcast to hear them! Just click here to subscribe (it’s free!) and get these episodes. We’ll see you again in early September for more life on the low end of the spectrum.
CBC 3: Freelance Tips and Great Tracks • 01.13.07
I just released episode 3 for Contrabass Conversations. You can always subscribe to Contrabass Conversations by visiting the website or clicking the button below. About 20 minutes into the episode there is a great jazz bass solo by Henning Sieverts.
CBC 2: Audition news and more • 01.08.07
Episode 2 for Contrabass Conversations is now out! Visit Contrabass Conversations to subscribe to this podcast, or listen live here.
CBC 1: Welcome to the Show! • 01.01.07
Yesterday I launched episode one of Contrabass Conversations. This is a project I have been planning for a long time. It will be a weekly 20-30 minute podcast devoted to all aspects of the double bass. Episodes will be released each Monday. Visit contrabassconversations.com for all information about this podcast.
My plan is to do interviews with double bassists from all walks of life, from professional orchestra players to students, educators, and amateur hobbyists. The first several guests will be from the Chicago metro area, but I will be expanding beyond Chicago within the first few months of this show and will be conducting phone and Skype interviews.
If you would like to be a guest on this show, pleas let me know! You can e-mail email@example.com, call 206-666-6509 (24 hour voicemail line), or visit contrabassonversations.com to leave a voice message or comment.