Check out all episodes for our Winning the Audition series!
About Winning the Audition
This series is drawn from interviews conducted with dozens of bassists from orchestras like the Boston Symphony, Cleveland Orchestra, National Symphony, Philadelphia Orchestra, Chicago Symphony, and Houston Symphony, plus some of the most influential pedagogues in the field.
This series provides actionable advice that you can use to take your auditioning to the next level, and while we’re speaking with bassists for these episodes, the advice can certainly be applied to other instruments and disciplines as well.
This series is divided into four episodes:
- Part 1 – Preparing for Audition Success
- Part 2 – Practicing Techniques for Peak Auditions
- Part 3 – Preparation Routines That Work
- Part 4 – Sealing the Deal
Special thanks goes to John Grillo, who was my co-host for many of these interviews.
These episodes include advice from dozens of major figures in the bass world, including Lawrence Hurst, Michael Hovnanian, Ranaan Meyer, Ian Hallas, Brandon Mclean, Robin Kesselman, Ira Gold, Max Dimoff, Jack Budrow, Andrew Anderson, Rob Kassinger, Peter Tambroni, Greg Sarchet, Andrew Raciti, Marc Ramírez, Gaelen McCormick, Joseph Conyers, Colin Corner, Ju-Fang Liu, Jeffrey Turner, Owen Lee, Brad Opland, and Alex Hanna.
Our sponsor for this series is Discover Double Bass. This site is run by Geoff Chalmers and provides lessons and step-by-step courses on a variety of double bass areas of study. They’ve got free articles, string reviews and a show called Ask Geoff and Lauren where they answer questions from the double bass community. Geoff does great work and has built this into a tremendous resource for bassists everywhere. Check out over 70 free lessons and much more at discoverdoublebass.com!
- auditionhacker – Metrolopitan Opera Orchestra percussionist Rob Knopper’s awesome site
- Performance Success – Don Greene’s manual for developing audition skills
- Audition Success – a fascinating sereies fo intervews with Don Greene about auditioning
- Fight Your Fear and Win – another great book from Don Greene to develop audition skills
- Flow – Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s seminal text on peak performance